Thursday, April 01, 2010

Reading

Reading

Now when this word pops into our mind the thing which instantly pops up are either books related to our profession or some things else but not books which gives us peace to our mind when we read them.

I am voracious  book reader. I like to read any book which either gives us knowledge or gives us peace of mind. I prefer the latter one the most. Since my childhood I have read many books, in my childhood it mostly consist of comics such as Tintin, Phantom, Chacha Chowdary, Asterix, then comics on the Indian history rulelrs like Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka, Alexander and many more. These books on the India history gave me a edge on my peers who did not have these books and I used to score pretty good marks in social in my school days and has remained my fav since then.

Reading also helped me to improve my english and diction for new words. As I grew up I started to read novels written by famous authors like Sidney Sheldon, Robin Cook, Jeffery Archer and many more. The reading level had reached to such a state that I had to start my own collection of books and it kept on growing ever since.

Of late I have been reading books written by Indian authors. And I can say that it is all thanks to one person that is Chetan Bhagat for starting this trend. That is because before him there were only a few Indian authors on the bookshelves like Arundhati Roy, Jhumppa Lahari, Shobha De, Salman Rushdie to name a few. But after the hit of "Five point someone" by Chetan Bhagat, the list of Indian authors had started to rise.

Mind you all these books have the feel of youth as most of them are either in college or just left college. Most of the authors I have seen are basically from the north side, it is not that I am region biased. I loved reading their books and keep on reading whenever I have a free time. I mean most of them are either from IIT(D) or DCE.

But none from South. I love to see atleast one author name who comes from south..it is just my feeling ( Forgive me if there was any author from South, please let me know). But anyways books been books which are a source of inspiration and for relief are one of my greatest companions.

2 comments:

Rahul said...

For most Indian authors in english their being north indian or south indian almost does not matter.. they are based at multicultural places like Blore or are Indian origin authors in UK or other places.. Not a very researched opinion and quite general actually.. Still Aravind Adiga(Kannada/Tulu), Anita Nair and Shashi Tharoor (Mallu & psuedo mallu) are a few names that come to mind..
Ramachandra Guha is a great read since you enjoy history also..

"There’s no place like home" said...

well I'm not much into reading but i think,
reading a real book is touching the reality..

i hope I'm right somewhere....