Thursday, April 01, 2010

Life in UK

Now this is a interesting thing.

People always want to go abroad and live. I have no qualms about that because I was one of those people who had this notion of going to US and settling down there with my family. I was always fascinated with the idea of going there. But as things turned out as usual for me US did not take place but instead it was replaced by UK.

By that time I was pretty mature enough and had given a reasonable though to the idea. The idea was go to UK get done with my masters get a job stay for 2-3 years and then come back and stay with my family. The reason me changing from settling down to just complete studies and come back was due to the changes I have seen in my family. My family is pretty big if i say big it is big, this is because I have people staying from east coast to west coast in US and at any given point in any major city the maximum distance between me and them would be from 10 mins to 1 hour if I decide to stay in any one of them.

So by now you can understand how huge my family is and given the relation we maintain with our extended family anything is just a phone call away.

Back to the Reason:

I have seen my cousins go to US to study and were pretty excited. After they were done with their masters they became so busy with their lives that it had almost became like a robotic life get up, go to work, come back and sleep on weekdays and on weekends clean the house and call up home and talk to mom and dad.
I mean when they were here life used to be different like get up, go to work, come back, go out enjoy with friends and then sleep.

I mean what is the use of life when you are not able to enjoy anything. I mean people would say that if you want something you have to lose something. I also believe in that concept but not in a way where we literally give up something we like ( I dnt know how many will agree or disagree!!! but who cares this is my opinion).

Life in UK:


I was pretty sure as to what I wanted to do. So I go my admit into Northumbria Univ in Newcastle. It is a lovely city and pretty cheap to live to. As I arrived in Newcastle after my immigration check the first thing which greeted me when I stepped out of the airport was a freaking cold wind. It almost made me numb and it was the first week of FEB when I landed in Newcastle.

I was received by a friend who was contacting me before he left for Newcastle and he told me that I would be staying with him. I was happy that atleast I am staying with a person whom I know. Before coming to UK I have made quite a no. of friends and met them in person, the reason begin we are studying in the same university.

When my friend brought me to the room, I was in for a shock, I mean I have seen bachelor rooms in Hyderabad and also lived with my friends in their room, but they never kept their room so untidy. It was heights, I mean the room was stinking in foul smell and the smell was due to the socks which never used to be washed. That was a rude shock I got of reality that people can stay like this also. When I asked my friend which room he is staying in, he told me that he is not staying here, he is staying somewhere else.

I mean how do u expect someone to stay there when you are only not able to bear the smell. I was pretty tired of the journey and had a sleep. I mentally made up my mind, either I get a room where my other friends are staying or shift to hostel where I still have my accommodation. I called up my other friends and asked them where they are put up, so that I can come and stay with them. But after been told of their situation I dnt blame them. Living here in the room has become impossible because of the smell and even the bathrooms are not kept clean, I mean they have black coat of something which they dnt clean and on top of it one of the guys in the room comes and asks me to give him 120 pounds because I have come in his place.

I just though damn you, I just arrived here and you expect me to just give you money because you are asking me. I replied back saying i will give after few days because the money has to come from the bank so on like that. Next day after going to univ, I went to the accommodation office and asked if there is a room for me as I had booked it earlier but was not able to confirm it due to the uncertainty of the dates as to when I am going to arrive. Luckily for me there was couple of rooms available and showed me which one I would like to have. I liked one which had only 5 rooms and it was like a flat type.

I paid the money then and their itself and  took the keys. The guys  back in the house were in for a shock that I was going to leave the room and go. They did not expect it, but I said sorry I had to leave, but would be in touch. And been true to my word I am in touch with the guys from that room still.

I gave very specific instructions to my family that if ever they are going to call that friend of mine, I would never talk to them and from that day onwards no one asked about his whereabouts.

Life is always full of surprises. And we have to be ready to face it with a happy face.

No comments: